This functionality is implemented using Javascript. It cannot work without it, etc...

Home Energy Assistance Program

The Summer Home Energy Assistance Program is currently still available! Both Non-Emergency and Crisis assistance is still available. The Summer program will end Monday, September 30, 2019, at close of business. Applications received after that date will not be eligible for assistance so please come in and see us before then!

Summer assistance is for cooling so it is for electric only.  

3,323 households benefited from the Home Energy Assistance Program, January 1 through September 30, 2018. $772,476.67 was spent in client direct payments to local utility providers on behalf of clients to offset the high costs of heating fuel and electricity during the Winter and Summer months.


The agency must verify HEAP eligibility requirements verify means to secure proof of the accuracy of information given by household by obtaining more information from another source. The application process is designed to obtain information needed to decide eligibility and prevent duplication. The following information must be obtained along with a completed application: Picture ID for person applying for assistance, Social Security number for everyone in the household, current income of all persons in household 18 years and older, current home energy bill. A client file is established for each client including all needed information to process the application. All applicants’ approved or denial is based on meeting income requirements, after requirements are met, the applicants are notified in writing of the approval or denial status; then, payment is forwarded to the utility company.
See below to download an application.

Income Eligibility: (chart updated 12/21/2018)

For households required to apply for assistance on form DCO-9495, income eligibility will be determined by comparing the household’s maximum countable income with the income eligibility chart below. The income eligibility limits are set at 60% of of the state’s median income level.


Household (1)
MCI (2)
Household (1)
MCI (2)
(1) For each additional household member over the household size of 20, add $94.00 to the maximum MCI shown for a household size of 20.
(2) MCI should not be rounded when using the eligibility chart. If the household’s MCI is $.01 over the level shown for the household size, the household is ineligible for assistance (see section 6341 for procedures for income computation).

Information you must have to apply for HEAP Assistance:

1. Proof of all household income for the month prior to the month of application. This would include all check stubs, child support, unemployment compensation, housing utility assistance, SSI, SSA, TEA, VA and any retirement benefits. A current copy of income verification will be required with all applications.

2. Know the birth dates and social security numbers for all household members.

3. Have a copy of bill or shut off notice for which assistance is requested.

4. Copies of both electric bill and documentation/bill for heating source is required for both winter and summer applications.

5. Have knowledge of resources such as amount of money in the bank, value of owned property, other assets, etc. Verification may be required.

6. Have current verification of any and all contributions from family and friends. If you have zero or inadequate income you will need written collateral statements verifying how you pay your bills.

7. Knowledge of where all household members are currently employed or where they were last employed and the date of last employment for all household members. Any unemployed household members 18+ must present verification of status of unemployment. For High School students 18 years or older a letter from the High School must be provided to verify their enrollment.

8. If both parents do not live in the home, you will need proof of whether or not child support is received.

9. If any subsidized housing is received, you will need proof of whether or not utility assistance is received.

10. An I.D. will be required for identification purposes of the person making application.


Non Emergency HEAP will not prevent a shut-off.

The agency has up to 35 days to process your application. Applications are processed as quickly as possible. No calls will be made to the utility company for the regular assistance program.


The amount of benefits under the Home Energy Assistance Program will vary according to income and household size. Additional information about specific benefit amounts can be obtained by contacting your local Community Action Agency. After your application is reviewed, you will receive a written notice explaining your eligibility and the amount of assistance you will receive. Payments are generally sent directly to a utility company or fuel dealer and are credited to your account. Please allow 30 days for a response.

OZARK OPPORTUNITIES, INC. Home Energy Assistance Program

YOU are responsible for providing the required information that applies to you and your household. These items are required whether you receive these benefits or not.

  • Proof of income for all household members 18 years or older for the previous month
    • This includes all check stubs that have a pay date in the previous month.
    • If check stubs are not available, an earnings statement must be completed by your employer.
  • Proof of child support if both biological parents are not in the home
    • You need to bring a child support statement from the Office of Child Support Enforcement.
    • This is required even if you do not receive any child support or have an open case.
    • We also need a statement from DHS that states whether or not you receive TEA/Work Pays.
  • Proof of unemployment for all household members 18 years or older that are unemployed
    • This is required even if you do not receive any unemployment benefits.
    • You will need to go to the unemployment office and they can print out what you have or have not received in the last month. Please note that you will need 2 forms of ID to obtain printout.
    • If you have lost your job within the last 60 days we will need an unemployment printout in addition to a statement from your employer that states your last date of employment and any income that was received in the previous month.
    • If anyone is a full time student who is unemployed they will also need a letter from the school stating that he or she is a full time student.
  • Proof of Social Security, Retirement, Pensions, Workman’s Comp, or Disability
    • You will need a copy of your award letter for the current year.
    • We can not accept a copy of your bank statement.
    • To request your SS or SSI award letter, go to or call 1-800-772-1213.
  • Proof of utility allowance
    • If you live in government housing or receive rental assistance we need a letter from the Housing Authority that states whether or not you receive a utility reimbursement check.
    • Even if you do not receive a reimbursement check each month we still need a letter from them stating you do not get one.
  • If you have no income
    • We need proof of how you have been paying your bills. If someone has helped you, we need a contribution statement completed from each person who helped you in the previous month.
    • We also need you to get an unemployment printout for all household members who are 18 or older.
    • We MUST have Social Security Numbers and Birthdates for ALL Household Members.